For this week’s reading I selected to read "All: At Our Best Introduction" (Gretchen Brion-Meisels, Deepa Sriya Vasudevan, and Jessica Tseming Fei) and "Why Couldn't That Have Been Me? Reflections on Confronting Adultism in Education Organizing Spaces" (Luk, Schuettge, Catone, + Perez).
"Why Couldn't That Have Been Me? Reflections on Confronting Adultism in Education Organizing Spaces" (Luk, Schuettge, Catone, + Perez),
“Adults are assumed to be the right ones to make decisions and to take action, sometime with the justification that their decisions are made in the best interest of young people” (Luk, Schuettge, Catone, + Perez). I believe many times this is true aults make decisions thinking it is the best decision for the adult and do not consult with them and getting their input.
“ We believe that slowing down and reflection must also come with action in order for change to happen” (Luk, Schuettge, Catone, + Perez). I like that the program was able to reflect and take a step back from what they were doing after debriefing. In order to make changes we have to reflect and get feedback.
“ young people’s ideas are dismissed because they are developmentally immature, and that young people have no avenue for excising political power, traditionally understood, until they reach the arbitrary age of 18.” I have seen a lot of cases where young people’s ideas are dismissed. I Don't believe their ideas should be dismissed. I believe we should definitely listen to youth and hear them out.
All: At Our Best Introduction" (Gretchen Brion-Meisels, Deepa Sriya Vasudevan, and Jessica Tseming Fei)
“ We believe that part building youth-adult partnership is a necessary component of developing a high quality OST program for youth”. After reading previous assignments for this class I don't not believe it is necessary. We have seen the outcome of programs that have partnership. Many of these programs had to change their missions in order to reach the goal of the partnership. In last week reading, the program Urban Art was not the same due to having to make changes.
“ many providers see their roles as working with youth rather than for youth.” from my perspective I think it should be about the youth we serve. We should work with them.
No comments:
Post a Comment