Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Blog post 1


  

 

 

One thing that was affirmed to me was in the “Based Youth Work in Uncertain Times'' by Bianca Baldridge reading was funding.  I knew that many after school program were based on federal funding. Youth work is affected by funds especially in low-income communities.  I remember reading about it in my undergrad while in the YDEV program. While reading the “ Based Youth Work in Uncertain Times” by Bianca Baldridge it made me think back to the before and after care I worked for. I noticed the effect of cutting funding. Like in the reading “Based Youth Work in Uncertain Times” by Bianca Baldridge stated,   “cuts to federal funding spending on programs are a persistent threat”. I reflected on the program I worked for. What I noticed due to the grants being reduced there were measures that had to be taken. The program was getting towards the end of the grant. The program was going to have less money  due to the cut in the grant, changes had to be made. Some of the changes were reducing  hours for Youth workers and in services provided. Another thing I already knew was with the increase of organization expansion comes a decrease in relationship between students and staff (Baldridge) . I noticed with the increase of youth attendance there was less time for youth to engage with staff. I noticed “number”  and          “success” (Baldridge) were important for the program director  based on the number and test scores. That was how they determined how successful the program was . Lastly the  “ Youth workers play a significant role in the experiences young people have in community-based programs'' ( Baldridge)  This quote was affirmed to me. Youth workers are a big part of youth experience. As a youth worker I feel I played a big role in the experience in youth life. I remember seeing a youth I worked with, that youth informed me of having a great memory while at the before and after care. That’s when I realized how important the experience I provided was to the youth.

 

I enjoyed reading, “ Some Conceptions of Youth and Youth work in the United States” by Dana Fusco. This reading was a refresher from my undergrad. I learned more information provided by this reading.  I learned about how much youth work has changed in the course of time. Another thing I learned was how in  New York City had “established the presentation and control of juvenile delinquency in the 1950’s.” I like how they established  “Street worker” and based it  on building relationships. I learned the program was created to “ensure low youth crimes” by creating summer jobs and recreation programs.

 

 

One thing I would like to learn is the future of social justice within schools. 



6 comments:

  1. Thanks for your post Hecmy! I appreciate your comment about numbers and scores. Where do you think this emphasis on numbers comes from? What are some other ways we might think about the success of our programs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funding and grants especially in our small state are often make or break so many programs. Federal and other organizational grants that fluctuate and leave our programs in limbo- constantly guessing and the emotional labor of "waiting to see" what grants we "win" or even has access and/or qualify for- the hoops we have to jump through just to suck the joy out of many of my days as we just try to keep programs going. Thank you for sharing the uplifting quote about youth workers- it doesn't always feel that we are important- even sometimes without our own orgs. :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I resonated with your post as you mentioned the cutting of funds for afterschool programs. As part of my role at work, we provide after school programs in several Providence schools and it’s been such a struggle to offer our services efficiently and effectively due to the lack of funds given or none at all. I realized as a youth worker how impactful and influential we can be with youth because sometimes we don't realize that we may be the only people in their lives that can offer space for them to be heard and authentically be themselves. Most youth I interact with don't have space at home or school to express themselves in ways without judgment and that’s why afterschool programs and youth workers are so important. I felt your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think about this all the time and I am so appreciative of your perspective. Funding, grants, money in general, in the non-profit world especially, can be such a wonky thing to think about. Similar to Rosey's point, the organization I work for cannot thrive efficiently or effectively without the funding we get from our donors and sponsors. It sometimes becomes super draining to know that the work you can produce with and for our youth solely relies on what we can provide for them with the funding we have (or don't have).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I relate a lot to the part where you spoke on your programs funding being reduced due to the grant ending and how that would affect your program. That same thing has happened to my program and it was difficult to adjust to. Reflecting on that helps in the learning process and I also connect what I read to my job.

    ReplyDelete

Blog 9

For this week’s reading I selected to read  "All: At Our Best Introduction" (Gretchen Brion-Meisels, Deepa Sriya Vasudevan, and Je...