Stereotypes About Young People
Blog 2
I found the Youtube video on Child development core, part 2 Serve and Return to be interesting. The first, four years of a child's growth is developed during this time. The child is developing language, visual and communication during this period. I learned serve and return is the interaction between adult and child. The interaction does not always have to be verbal. One of the things the video talked about was playing things like peek a boo or communicating during daily routines. Children need to have the engagement with their caregiver because it is important for their growth. The adult needs to be responsive during these interactions. The video talked about how parents get busy and use alternatives such as having the child watch television. The video talked about how important these engagements are. According to the video, parent’s that engage in “ serve and return” those children tend to have better grades, social skills, emotion regulation and better ability to focus. “Neglect of basic needs” causes the education gap. Children are falling behind and never catching up. The video talked about how families and communities need to help provide at risk families with education and finance help to make the difference . This is an example stereotype of families of low income. There are not enough programs out there to help children with these developments. Many of these programs are limited and children need to enter a raffle in order to have a spot in one these programs for example for head start. Many parents do not have the resources to pay for programs.
One of the stereotypes that is impacted by race was described in the Youtube Adultification Bias video. One of the stereotypes was that 5 year old girls of color are “more adult like then their peers” As stated in the Youtube, Girls of color are 2.7 times more likely to be referred to the juvenile justice system. Two times more likely to be disciplined for minor violations. 20% more likely to be charged with a crime. They are treated with higher standards. They are treated differently for being of color. They stereotype girls of color to be “loud, aggressive, angry” . Girls of color should be supported and not be stereotyped by “adultification bias” Girls of color should be supported. They should be more awareness.
“Typically teenagers appear in our culture talk as synonymous with crazed hormones, as delinquents,deficiencies, or clowns, that is, being not to be taken too seriously.” ( Lesko) This reminded me of when I was graduating from the 7th grade. While waiting in line to go to the auditorium, my teacher was saying who was going to be “ more successful” my teacher told me I was going to be less successful than this other student in my class who was a boy. I remembered asking her why? She told me because I liked to laugh a lot. I remember alway doing my school work, but because I liked to laugh she viewed me as a “ clown” I always remember that teacher because of the comparison she made. This is an example of a stereotype. I was not taken seriously because I was what she considered a “ clown” .
A stereotype that was reflected in Act your Age! A Cultural Construction of Adolescence by Nancy Lesko was the “Big'' 12 year old. This stereotype is how different families classify a child as “Big” The reading talked about how responsibilities in families are different in terms of expectation. This reading talked about the difference in gender roles. 12 year old boys are expected to do less. Boys are considered to be “childlike” . On the other hand a 12 year old girl is considered “big” in the household. Girls are considered to be “ more capable and responsible”. I could relate to this, I remember being 12 and having more chores than my siblings. I remember having to clean and do laundry. My brothers had smaller tasks like carrying the groceries. This is one thing that I have always thought about. I also remember talking to children at my before and after program. I remember the girls telling me they had to clean up their room and help around the house. On the other hand the boys would tell they played videos.
Thanks for your post Hecmy. I appreciate your reflections and analysis. In the serve and return video, I wonder (perhaps watching again) whether you hear any deficit-based language in this video? While the experts are alerting us to a mode of early childhood brain development, how do they position families? Where does blame/responsibility fall for engaging/not engaging with young children?
ReplyDeleteHi Hecmy! I was really interested to read your reflection about being a sibling of brothers, and you having more chores to do than them! I only have a younger sister and I feel like we had the same amount of chores and had never considered how parents may put more responsibility on a daughter than they would a son. Thank you for bringing that to light!
ReplyDelete