Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Blog 7

 Tell us a story about a time in your life when you needed and received care. What did this look and feel like? How did SYSTEMS play a role in your story--how were institutions caring or uncaring?


Throughout  my education I felt that I needed  support. I am a first generation college graduate. As I was growing up I  did not have many people to go to regarding questions about college. I knew I wanted to get a higher education and  get my master’s . I felt it was hard to find resources and guidance . I started at CCRI, I felt there was not much support there from the advisors just because they have so many students. As a student I felt I should not be feeling that way.  They should be given students the proper support and guidance.  I remember going to see an advisor  one semester they would tell me one thing  and the next semester they would say something else. They would help me select my classes but added classes I did not need. I remember feeling I was never going to reach my goal. I felt the institution was not caring. At one point I felt I was a number. I kept pushing because I knew I wanted to obtain my degree. When I was growing up I thought it was going to be four years  to obtain my degree ( boy I was wrong). I  remember getting a course book from my advisor and guiding myself to finish. I was able to graduate from CCRI. I was there for 3 years as a full time student. I moved on and went to Rhode Island College.When I first started RIC I was in the Social Work program. As a student in the Social Worker program, I felt I was not heard and felt I did not belong. When receiving my papers back from my professors,  it pretty much stated it was not good enough. I felt I did not belong in  that program.I did not have support from the professor or the advisor there. I remember thinking this is a Social Worker program and aren't social workers supposed to be caring. As growing up I felt many people told me I was not good enough and having to continue this in college I felt it was not a community of belonging. I felt the social work program was not the one for me. I started looking at other programs at RIC. I looked for programs that fit my goals and beliefs. I remember getting a hold of Lesley Bogad. I felt she was caring and gave me the support I needed. She became my advisor. When I started the YDEV, I felt I belonged. I felt the professors and my classmates were caring and respectful. When you have people that are caring things change. I feel in my life I have found a few  institutions that gave me support.  Things are different when people are caring. Just as the Youtbe video Healing America’s Racial Divisions in the Age of Coronavirus, I feel I am in a healing stage. I feel I am able to speak about the way I am feeling. 


2 comments:

  1. Hi Hecmy, to start off I commend you for your hard work and perseverance to still keep pushing through school even when you weren't getting the support you needed. Being a first generation college student myself, I also had many questions and struggles that felt like no one had the answers to. I'm glad that you are finally at a stage of healing in your life and happy that this class is helping you as well! Keep pushing forward it'll all be worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your story Hecmy. I'm sorry for the pain of feeling not seen and supported through educational experiences--and so grateful that you found your way to YDEV. One line really sticks with me from your post "When you have people that are caring things change." Right. None of us does college, school, work, anything alone--it is care and connection that makes our achievements possible.

    ReplyDelete

Blog 9

For this week’s reading I selected to read  "All: At Our Best Introduction" (Gretchen Brion-Meisels, Deepa Sriya Vasudevan, and Je...