Tuesday, October 27, 2020

BLM

Currently I work for a non profit organization as a bilingual case manager. I work with adults with mental health. The organization I work for has  a large number of diverse employees and patients. Due to working with a diverse population  they make sure they hire people with different ethic backgrounds. The organization pays in incentive to employees that speak a different language. Just like other companies or organizations they are not perfect. Even though the majority of the employees  are a diverse population the higher up are predominantly  white. They are the ones that decide the policies and the pay of employees. As  a case manager we provide many services to our patients. Even though we are a big part of the treatment we provide, we do not get paid well enough. If there were more people of color as higher up would things be different? Many social service jobs do not pay their employees enough for the job we provide and they have high expectation of employees.  One positive thing about the organization is that they send emails frequently to educate employees on what is going on. Every year we are trained on many different topics such as LGBT , BLM and how to treat patients and other subjects.  The organization conducted several Zoom meetings regarding BLM. During those meetings employees were able to voice their opinions. Those meetings were held at times where employees were able to attend. It is important to educate employees on subjects that matter such as BLM. 


The organization does work with providing support for the population by designing programs to help our  population within the organization. As case manager , I do notice the community resources do not have the same goals . One thing that needs to  be changed is the people working with people with minorities. I have noticed when I contact people for resources they  treat me as a burden. I do try to  educate people when speaking to them.  I could only imagine how they speak to the patients who have  disabilities and most of them are minorities. Many companies and organizations should train people on BLM.   One thing that comes up is policing, police officers do not understand people with mental health. Police officers are not trained to work with people with mental health or of color. Due to that many towns and cities now have social workers that drive with police officers but there are not enough out there. Polices sure  get  trained to help with all populations including people of color and mental health. 



 

1 comment:

  1. This is spot on! Stigma and lack of training around mental illness is huge! Glad to hear your trainings were held at times staff could go- so often that's not the case. From my experience-even in "well funded" long-running orgs- the money flow often stops at top. Living wages for YDEV and Mental Health Professionals is tough to advocate for when our funding just to keep the lights on is the first thing politicians put on the chopping block.

    ReplyDelete

Blog 9

For this week’s reading I selected to read  "All: At Our Best Introduction" (Gretchen Brion-Meisels, Deepa Sriya Vasudevan, and Je...